While Sandhills may not have a central office with cubicles, fax machines, and ping pong tables, we still acknowledge that some equipment and supplies are required so that our team can get work done. We are committed to making sure you have everything you need to be productive.
We also believe that both employer and employee have responsibilities with regards to work related equipment:
- Take good care of your equipment. Don't take unnecessary risks. Pack things carefully when traveling. Don't let your kids play with anything fragile.
- Take security very seriously. Always observe our detailed guidelines regarding security and sensitive data. Do not leave items unattended in public places.
- Use but don't abuse equipment allowances. Be clear about the difference between your needs and your wants. Don't try to get by with inadequate solutions, but don't ask for unnecessary extras which will not help you do your job.
- Provide clear justification for any requests which are not standard.
- Provide you with all the equipment you need to consistently produce quality work.
- Never ask you to do anything which cannot reasonably be accomplished with the equipment you have.
- Respect and consider all requests for equipment and supplies. Our situations and duties are all different and no one knows what you need better than you. All requests will be thoughtfully considered, no matter how unusual.
Annual equipment allowance
All employees of Sandhills Development are entitled to $250 USD worth of equipment purchases each year. Anything work or office related is eligible, subject to manager's approval. Funds do not rollover and expire at the end of each calendar year.
Examples of eligible goods
Annual equipment allowances may be used towards the purchase of items such as:
- Office chair
This is not a comprehensive list. If there's something you think you need which is not on this list, bring it up with your manager or fill out a work request and we'll discuss the matter with you.
The most important piece of equipment we all use is our computer. Whether this is a laptop or a desktop, a Mac or a PC, weighs 2lbs or 25lbs, does not matter. This is a critical item for every employee, always.
Employees at Sandhills should expect the following when it comes to their primary workstation:
All repairs and maintenance costs are eligible for reimbursement. These are subject to approval and we may choose to pay for a replacement instead if repair costs are high.
Primary workstations which become inoperable, lost, stolen, or otherwise abruptly rendered unsuitable for daily use, are eligible for replacement covered by the company. Under normal circumstances employees should expect replacements to be equivalent to the old machine, although the company may decide to offer an early "upgrade" to a newer model.
Employees may request a brand new computer after their second work anniversary and every three years after that. Make and model are up to you but costs may not exceed the current cost of a basic 16" MacBook Pro.
All employee equipment purchased by the company for less than $500 is a gift to the recipient. Items purchased costing more than $500 are company property until three years after the date of purchase. At that time the items become the property of the employee.
Employees who part ways with Sandhills while in possession of company owned equipment have the option to purchase it from the company at its current value or return it to the company at the company's expense.
If you have equipment related needs, please submit a request here prior to purchasing anything.